Tuesday, January 27, 2015

That one moment

Do you remember that one time (at band camp)-that the words you said came out of your mouth and you wanted to sink into a hole?  Maybe that happens a lot.  My dad taught me to think before I speak, and for the most part I do.
But what about that one moment you walked away and didn't tell someone how you really felt.  See I have a brother who is one cool dude, but he doesn't talk much.  It's just part of his personality and there are a lot of times I feel really stupid by saying I love you.  But if I walk out that door without saying, I regret it every time.  I tell everyone else I love them every time I see them.  His response is usually a grunt, it kinda stings, we save ourselves these little pricks.  Don't we?

Here's a story about my amazing mother-in-law, Doris.  Before we go on, let me tell you she is really amazing.  I really, really got lucky.  As sweet as they come as long as you don't hurt her kids or grandkids...
I only know this story by bits and pieces from what my husband has told me and I will definitely spare any negativity, but my only wish is to make one think about what they say, or how they act.
Doris has 2 brothers, both older.  One lives next door, the other has passed away in recent years.  When my husband was much younger there was a family tiff--oh, this happens all the time I know--but, this brother chose to stay away from his sister and her kids.  My husband, Kevin, is pretty sure that if his uncle had been around more they'd have been really, really tight.  But the story is about how this affected Doris.  She talked to him on the phone occasionally, but things never got right again.  Until the last couple years, he moved back to the homefront.  Kevin and I had been married several years, daughter, grandkids all in high school.  Nephews all grown up.  He went in for a routine procedure, bypass surgery.  He died 3 days later.  Her loss was incredible.  Not only for the life, but for the years lost.  She still has a message on her answering machine, he told her he loved her. 
So, before you walk out that door angry, before you get mad at something that will mean nothing in 2 days or 2 weeks.  If that person means anything to you, just apologize, talk it out.  Communication.  And please think about the consequences you may cause by your actions.

1 comment:

  1. That one time, at band camp. Ha! Priceless! ;)
    "If that person means anything to you, just apologize, talk it out." Gosh, such a basic concept but so often we miss that, and life festers. Good stuff, April.

    ReplyDelete